From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 11:13:50
1 On 08/11/2016 13:07, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On November 8, 2016 9:43:30 AM GMT+01:00, Willie M <matthews.willie80@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 11/07/2016 06:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >>> Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> writes:
5 >>>
6 >>>> On 2016-11-06 22:54, Willie M wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> http://freedns.afraid.org/
9 >>>>
10 >>>> ++ ++
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I had used both Dyn and NoIP before, but they both went all Web 2.0
13 >> on
14 >>>> me (and other well known ones probably did the same).
15 >>>>
16 >>>> FreeDNS is just perfect for me - a blast of fresh air from the past
17 >> :-)
18 >>>
19 >>> Just the tiniest bit thin on explaining what the heck you are
20 >> expected
21 >>> to do on the various pages that appear when setting up an account.
22 >>>
23 >>> I'd like to have a real ip for a change... been doing the fake home
24 >>> lan thing for years and always there are problems with sendmail or
25 >>> other mail apps. Either masquerading or some other work around.
26 >>>
27 >>> Can anyone tell me if the freedns place will supply me with an ip
28 >> that
29 >>> will work for sendmail? Will stand up across the internet when other
30 >>> internet hosts do reverse dns on my address for mail purposes.
31 >>>
32 >>> They advertise static addresses too, is there any draw back to that?
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >>
36 >> Hey Harry,
37 >>
38 >> If I a not mistaken if you change your nameservers to FreeDNS you will
39 >> be able to have that dynamic IP Address that way. So your reverse
40 >> lookup
41 >> should work just fine.
42 >>
43 >> Only problem is that if your IP address changes, you would have a short
44 >> amount of time that your server would not respond (because of the IP
45 >> change). The default TTL on FreeDNS is 3600 seconds (1 hour).
46 >>
47 >> Reading on the front page it says that you can edit the TTL if you add
48 >> your own domain. I don't know for sure how it all works because I have
49 >> never added on. It doesn't hurt to try and it seems like it would be a
50 >> lot better than what you are using now.
51 >>
52 >> Hope this helps.
53 >
54 > Willie,
55 >
56 > This will not work.
57 > A reverse lookup (which FQDN for the IP) needs to work for all SMTP servers he is likely to send mail to. This would also include Google and Microsoft.
58 >
59 > He needs to get his ISP to change the reverse DNS.
62 ISP mail admin chiming in here.
63
64 If a host on a dynamic range tries to hit my MX machines and deliver
65 mail, that host WILL be denied. Most ISP's work similarly as we are sick
66 and tired and fed up to the yinyang of 99.99% of mail from such hosts
67 being pure spam.
68
69 Harry, you have 2 options:
70
71 1. Do it yourself and do it properly - get a static IP from your ISP
72 2. Don't do it yourself and do it properly - use your ISP's mail
73 relays, or use a relay provider
74
75 Why are you even trying to do this yourself? I do this for a living and
76 I can tell you it's a pain in the butt you don't want (*I* don't even
77 want it, I shove mail services off onto other teams as fast as I can get
78 them to take it...)
83 Alan McKinnon
84 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com