From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Akonadi loses mails
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:54:19
1 Hi Alan,
2
3 Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2011, 22:11:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
4 > I am about to get on a damn plane to Germany, find me the entire
5 > collection of KDEPIM devs and shoot every last one of those fuckers
6 > dead. dead. dead. dead.
7
8 if you need a place to sleep, you're welcome :)
9
10 > Then blow up the repo so this POS will never again see the light of
11 > day.
12 > I'm trying to migrate away from kdepim. Nothing else out there imports
13 > KDE folders
14
15 They are maildirs, sort of, aren't they?
16 ~ $ ls .kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/new/
17 {2f2c8b47-dc21-4a7a-a0c4-1f0f6a223264} {ef61aa1a-f38f-40a7-99b1-6573bb12afa5}
18
19 > so I use my usual trick of running a local imap server,
20 > dragging mail trees into it and when the new mail client is started,
21 > everything is right there.
22 >
23 > Akonadi/kmail2 silently destroys the mail when you attempt this.
24
25 That's really bad...
26
27 > I did a few tests, copied small folders, contents of other folders,
28 > etc and satisfied myself it all worked nicely. Then dragged and
29 > dropped nice big chunks of mail tree into the IMAP folders. The mails
30 > appear in the kde view, but THEY ARE NOT ON DISK ANYMORE. What I am
31 > seeing is the akonadi cache, and sooner or later that will expire.
32
33 F..k!
34
35 > There was no warning, no dialog, no notification. Just a pile of mail
36 > disappeared. Akonadi/nepomuk/kmail/virtuoso/soprano/strigi didn't do
37 > it's usual stunt of observing that my mouse pointer had moved and
38 > consume 200% of cpu at load 11 for 30 minutes while it reindexed
39 > everything. It appears to have just chucked 2GB of pim data away.
40
41 Check your .xsession-error for SQL-Errors. I had a ton of these and had to
42 reconfigure my MySQL-Server to manage the requests it got from
43 kmail/akonadi/whatever. Don't remember the details though.
44
45 > Need I mention that NOT chucking pim data away is it's primary design
46 > goal (or should be).
47 >
48 > Now finally after 3 years, I understand what all the other ex-KDE
49 > users are on about - this is a stinking pile of bloatcrap and a
50 > solution to a problem that actually does not exist.
51
52 I really like kde4. But this PIM-stuff... I don't get it.
53
54 > To say that I'm pissed off is putting it mildly.
55 > Tomorrow morning I will decide if KDE4 itself is to be the next
56 > casualty.
57
58 Good luck,
59 Michael