From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting idea
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:52:01
1 Grant wrote:
2 > Greylisting seems to be the most effective way of eliminating unwanted
3 > email. The problem is that it also has the potential to eliminate a
4 > legitimate email. Couldn't a feature be added to greylisting software
5 > that dispatches an email to the sender of any email that is
6 > temporarily rejected and doesn't retry within a certain amount of
7 > time? The email could say something like, "Your message of {date} was
8 > rejected as possible spam. Please call us at {phone_number}."
9 >
10 > - Grant
11
12 I'd just configure a retry time of something large if you're worried
13 about it. IIRC the default is one day and you could raise it to two days
14 on a slow system without worrying that the db is getting too large.
15
16 On the other hand it might be interesting to return an email like this:
17
18 "Hi I'm the greylisting policy server. It took your mail system 36 hours
19 to retry. Is your email admin insane? Almost every email server in
20 existence has reasonable defaults that your idiot decided to mess with.
21 I highly recommend someone take a walk down to his cube and give them a
22 good smack in the back of the head."
23
24 kashani
25 --