From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:34:23
1 On Sunday 28 Apr 2013 18:12:49 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 28/04/2013 18:11, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 > >> What we complain about here is basic low-level software changes that
4 > >>
5 > >> > affect much more than just their own little universe, and will do it
6 > >> > ON ALL LINUX MACHINES NOW AND IN THE FUTURE.
7 > >
8 > > The source is out there NOW AND IN THE FUTURE. If there is enough
9 > > developers interested in maintaining something, it will be maintained;
10 > > but you cannot force no developer to maintain nothing.
11 >
12 > You keep saying this, over and over in many places for many reasons.
13 >
14 > But it just is not true.
15 >
16 > It's easy to get a dev to support something - you just ask them.
17 >
18 > Have you ever asked a dev to support something you needed?
21 Egocentric/maniac devs just listen to their own infallible desires, which
22 *they* call logic rather than the requests of their users.
23
24 In such cases, those of us who have neither the capability nor the time to
25 start coding the next fork which complies better with *nix design principles
26 and common sense, have to wait for some sensible solution to appear (e.g.
27 eudev) and run with that where available.
28
29 Ultimately, if some other dev(s) create /better/ code than Poettering that
30 closer matches the desires of many, I expect the monolithic
31 initrd+udev+systemd+what-ever will be ditched in favour of something more
32 flexible that suits a lot of us Gentoo users.
33
34 I can't wait for this to happen sooner, but since I can't code I can only but
35 hope. :-)
38 Regards,
39 Mick