From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Die, process! Die!
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:53:18
1 On 10/30/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I know my subject line is a little melodramatic, but this is really
3 > frustrating. I frequently have processes that killall doesn't kill and
4 > kill -9 <pid> doesn't touch. For instance, this is taken from top:
5 >
6 > 24135 root 16 0 229m 35m 1064 S 0.3 59.7 8:52.11 javadoc
7
8 The only case that kill -9 doesn't work is if the process is locked up
9 in a kernel call. What is this process doing...accesing network files
10 per chance?
11
12 > I have Cntrl+C on the emerge (five minutes ago) and I've issued multiple
13 > killall javadocs and kill -9 24135 and still it runs. Is there a way of
14 > getting rid of this process short of rebooting the machine?
15
16 If -9 doesn't work, it means your kernel is hungup, and yeah, you'll
17 have to reboot to fix.
18
19 -Richard
20 --