From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Burn-in test
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:18:04
1 On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
4 >> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 >>
6 >> <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >> > On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
8 >> >> I just bought a new laptop:
9 >> >> http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019626&ci
10 >> >>d=8 96.645 Which packages should I emerge (and run) as a burn-in test?
11 >> >> Note: I will run the burn-in off either a stock or custom-mastered
12 >> >> Gentoo LiveDVD.
13 >> >> If the disc needs custm mastering, please outline the steps required.
14 >> >>
15 >> >> Thanks!
16 >> >
17 >> > use systemrescuecd (a gentoo based livecd - incredible good one), and
18 >> > start cpuburn once for every cores. burnK7 on an amd k7 or k8 system,,
19 >> > burnP6 on a p4,core,core2 system.
20 >>
21 >> No GPU testing :( unless mprime/gpuburn can work in GPGPU mode.
22 >
23 > if your laptop has onboard nvidia graphic the last thing you want is a hot
24 > gpu.
25 How bad is it?
29 > If you want to 'test' the gpu (and seeing a picture should be test enough for
30 > a laptop) then run cpuburn AND unigine.
31 Seeing as I will most likely be playing around with GPGPU, a picture
32 is not enough. Some kind of fancy redering loop is needed.
35 Andrey Vul
36
37 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
38 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
39 A: Top-posting.
40 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?