From: Yannick Mortier <mvmortier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:08:47
1 2009/2/3 Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>:
2 > Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
3 > similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source.
4 > The main benefit claimed for this approach is that you get
5 > better performance because all executables are optimized for
6 > exactly the right instruction set.
7 >
8 > Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
9 > parroted by so many people?
10
11 I guess that is because the average user doesn't know those other
12 problems. Maybe he is used to reinstall his system every few months
13 because he used Windows before (which was the case for me, I repeat
14 was). Or he just reinstalls it when something fails.
15 Also this sounds like a very strong argument. Just imagine! That shiny
16 new CPU of yours and it wasn't running at it's full potential! But
17 wait no more! Use Gentoo and it'll show the power of all its
18 instructions!
21 > AFAICT, the "performance" benefit due to compiler optimization
22 > is practically nil in real-world usage.
23
24 Not nil, but very very small. Maybe some 0.25 oder 0.5 frames per
25 second in a game or 2 or 3 requests more per second for a webserver. I
26 tried that.
29 > In my experience the huge benefit of source-based distros such
30 > as Gentoo is elimination of the library dependency-hell that
31 > mires other binary-based distros.
32
33 You are absolutely right!
36 > For many years I ran RedHat and then Mandrake. After a year or
37 > so, they became impossible to maintain because of library
38 > version conflicts. Every time I tried up upgrade an RPM package
39 > to fix a bug or security hole, it required a handful of
40 > libraries to be upgraded, but doing that would break a bunch of
41 > other RPMs for which upgrades weren't available. The solution
42 > was always to start building stuff from sources. Once you
43 > started doing that, the package manager would get upset because
44 > it doesn't know about some stuff that's installed (unless you
45 > built from source RPMs, which had another set of problems).
46 >
47 > The second benefit is that with Gentoo, upgrading a system
48 > actually works over the long-run. With RedHat/Mandrake, things
49 > would gradually deteriorate to the point where the system was
50 > unmaintainable, but attempting to upgrade between major
51 > releases was always futile. I've had Gentoo machines that have
52 > been upgraded for 4-5 years without any significant problems
53 > (failed hard-drives don't count).
54
55 I hope mine will run as long as yours :) But I'm quite sure it will.
56 I just love that I can pick newer packages by unkeywording them and I
57 don't have all those library problems that I would happen with other
58 distributions. (Which can sometimes be avoided with backports, I know,
59 but those aren't always available...)
62 > The third main benefit I've seen is that there are vastly more
63 > packages available for Gentoo. Putting together and
64 > maintaining an ebuild appears to take a lot less work than
65 > putting together and maintaining a binary RPM package. I've
66 > had far fewer problems with third party ebuilds than I did with
67 > third-party RPMs (on the rare occasions when I found one for
68 > some obscure application I wanted to run). Again, the solution
69 > was always "build from sources".
70
71 Hmm.. I think making an ebuild is even harder. Because you have got
72 different combinations of USE flags and if you are a good maintainer
73 you should check them all, if you build an rpm it is fine if it works.
74 With 4 USE flags there are already 31 possible combinations.... just
75 imagine some larger packets with ten and more USE Flags...
78 > Are the real benefits of Gentoo too hard to explain to the
79 > unwashed masses, so instead they're told the fairy tale about
80 > imporoved performance?
83 I guess yes, because they just install packages from their
84 distribution or wildly from the internet so they destroy their
85 installation and have to reinstall anyways.
86
87 And by the way, I love the slogan "Gentoo - It's all about choices"
88 maybe it should be used more often, maybe it could beat that improved
89 performance slogan.
94 Currently developing a browsergame...
95 http://www.p-game.de
96 Trade - Expand - Fight
97
98 Follow me at twitter!