From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade query
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:21:31
1 jdm@××××××××××××.uk writes:
2
3 > A little advice please? I am about to build a new box going from athlon
4 > dual core to phenom six core. Including new sata drives and motherboard.
5 > I was going to clone all my partitions and the re emerged all packages
6 > with march native
7
8 > Firstly would you reccommend cloning and if so what is best technology?
9
10 I'd plug the new system drive into the old PC and clone with dd. You can
11 even make the partitions larger and use resize2fs (in case of ext3/4) to
12 enlarge the space after cloning.
13
14 Once caveat: Your new SATA drives are probably using a block size of 4K
15 instead of 512 bytes, internally. To the OS they still look like they have
16 512 bytes. But when the partitions are not aligned to 4K boundaries (and I
17 think this is still the case when using fdisk), there is a big performance
18 loss.
19
20 I also would make sure the whole drive is being written to once, in order to
21 detect bad blocks. badblocks -sw <device> will do this.
22
23 > Second is a complete reinstall a better option or safer?
24
25 I'd say just clone it. Remove your /etc/udev/rules.d/*-persistent-*.rules
26 files, so your network interfaces will not be renamed from eth0 to eth1.
27
28 If you change your CFLAGS, emerge -e world. I'm not sure if you better
29 emerge -e system before (once or even twice) so the toolchain is already
30 compiled with the new settings, maybe someone else will say something about
31 this.
32
33 Wonko