From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Network Trouble
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:06:54
1 Hi all,
2
3 My Gentoo box can no longer connect to the Internet. I was downloading
4 something and the connection just died on me.
5
6 (I have my Gentoo box behind a firewall box [also Gentoo, of course];
7 I moved the cable that connects the firewall [to my ADSL modem]
8 directly to my Gentoo box to make the setup simpler during testing.)
9
10 * I checked the cable and the ADSL modem with my firewall box and they're ok;
11 * I replaced my NIC with one from my firewall box and even tried a
12 different slot;
13 * I had DHCPCD use the MAC that my firewall box uses (just in case my
14 ISP cares).
15
16 The NIC is recognised and the right module/driver is loaded. The light
17 (LAN Link or something like that) on the ADSL modem, however, never
18 comes on (it does when I move the cable back into my firewall box).
19
20 What could be causing this? Is this a motherboard issue? It seems to
21 me that at least one of the NICs I tried must be ok. :-) Any advice
22 and/or ideas would be appreciated.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Hilco
26
27 P.S. How does one check that a NIC is operational anyway? If I "ping
28 localhost" does that actually excercise the NIC or is it all software,
29 inside the kernel?
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list