From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:40:28
1 On 07/16 07:35, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 20:08:03 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > PS:
5 > >
6 > > Found here:
7 > > https://gigaom.com/2014/05/11/not-all-ad-blockers-are-the-same-heres-why-the
8 > > -effs-privacy-badger-is-different/
9 > >
10 > > "Ghostery makes money by tracking the trackers while blocking them and
11 > > selling data about third party trackers, which it calls Ghostrank.
12 > > Disconnect takes a pay-what-you-want approach, but it is still
13 > > developed by a for-profit company founded by a former Google engineer.
14 > > Adblock is donation-supported, but many users confuse it with ***>Adblock
15 > > Plus, which has generated controversy for having advertisers pay to
16 > > land on a whitelist <*** . While Adblock and Adblock plus allow users to add
17 > > upload their own blacklists and whitelists, Ghostery and Disconnect do not
18 > > even allow users to add new filters."
19 > > (marks be me are not part of the citiation)
20 > >
21 > > Cheers
22 > > Meino
23 >
24 > I tried to configure Chromium to stop loading adverts on a particular website.
25 > After half an hour of fighting with embedded frames/JavaScript/etc. eventually
26 > I managed to block half a dozen CDNs and add servers. A week later to my
27 > surprise I saw adverts loading again when I visited the same website! What
28 > the ... ? They are rotating CDN addresses and domain names, probably to make
29 > user attempts to block their payload futile.
30 >
31 > What annoys me most is websites which download GB of advertising videos and
32 > won't stop whatever you try. Some will continue to download c*ap on your PC
33 > even after you leave the page! Chromium has a setting to block this, but I
34 > have not tested it to see whether it works as ... advertised. :-)
35 >
36 > --
37 > Regards,
38 > Mick
39
40 Hi Rick,
41
42 "Chromium" is based on Googles "Chrome", isn't it?
43 Is Chromium 100% Google-free?
44 Or does is only changed big brothers name?
45
46 Sorry for being so pessimistic...
47
48 Cheers