From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:34:34
1 On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 08:10:08AM -0600, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > >> I just did as you suggested dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
4 > >> dd if=/home/joseph/Downloads/install-amd64-minimal-20140828.iso
5 > >> of=/dev/sdb
6 > >> sync
7 > >>
8 > >> make no difference, the USB still will not boot.
9 > >What actually happens when you try to boot ?
10 > >do you get any messages?
11 > >some bios will require you to specify usb boot device type of cdrom or
12 > >hard disk do you have a press F11 for boot choices menu or similar?
13 > >it could be that you have usb cdrom selected as primary boot device, ide
14 > >disk as secondary and then "other removables" after this. please confirm
15 > >your bios boot orders
16 >
17 > Booting sequence is USB and HD. If I will not insert bootable USB it will
18 > boot from HD It works, as the bootable USB I created with Systemrescue CD
19 > script it worked. When I plug in the USB stick it boots from it.
20
21 It is my observation with many (if not all) of my systems that the USB stick
22 was in fact not considered a USB device but an HDD. So to boot from a stick,
23 instead of changing the boot order to USB → HDD → CD-Rom → whatever I had to
24 put HDD at the top and then – within the HDD selection – move the USB stick
25 above the internal HDD. But then again, those were mostly laptops, whose
26 BIOSes always seemed very crippled to me.
29 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
30 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
31
32 “An itching nose must be scratched.” … Kosh (Star Wreck)