From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage lags behind?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:09:04
1 On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:27:10 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > I did #emerge --sync a couple of weeks ago, followed
4 > by an update of portage. But seems every time I do $
5 > emerge -pv <some pkg> it always references software
6 > out-of-date by years sometimes. Two recent examples:
7 > sdcc and ecasound. There are many more.
8
9 If you want the latest, the first thing to do is sync, othrwise you're
10 going to miss out on anything added in the last two weeks.
11
12 > How do I tell portage to go for the latest stable pkg
13 > without having to download the tarball and
14 > compiling/installing it manually?
15
16 Ebuilds are generally marked stable around a month after being added to
17 portage, so if you want the latest version of a program, you need to
18 emerge the testing (~arch) ebuild.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 April Fools! You're really in a holodeck simulation!