From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HOWTO: Freezing/unfreezing (groups of) processes
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 14:40:21
1 On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 06:55:12AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
4 > > On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 2:45 AM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > So far, so good, but running "ps -ef | grep whatever" and then
7 > > > typing the kill -SIGSTOP/SIGCONT command on the correct pid is grunt
8 > > > work, subject to typos.
9 > >
10 > > man killall
11 >
12 > My reading of the "killall" man page is that it works on command
13 > names. For my script, "pstop palemoon" stops all instances of Pale
14 > Moon. But my script greps the entire line, so "pstop slashdot" will
15 > stop the process...
16
17 Yeah, that is fair enough. If you want to use other elements of the
18 command line/etc then you'd need to do something more along the lines
19 of your script. Just wanted to make people aware.
22 Rich