From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] trouble starting gnome-terminal
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 02:04:54
1 I run systemd if that is relevant. All commands below were run
2 as ordinary user "gottlieb" (I know the sudo runs the stated command as
3 root)
4
5 On one machine (named E6430) running gnome-terminal is problematic.
6
7 If I log via the gnome graphical login screen I cannot start a gnome
8 terminal either by
9 Selecting it from the favorites menu
10 Using my own keyboard shortcut (which has worked for years)
11 Invoking M-x shell in emacs and typing gnome-terminal
12
13 The first two produce nothing on the screen, third produces
14 Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 9
15
16 However the following both work
17 1. in the same emacs shell as above typing sudo gnome-terminal
18 2. from another machine where gnome-terminal works as normal
19 ssh -Y e6430
20 gnome-terminal
21
22 Any suggestions would be appreciated