From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking for wireless technology
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:25:38
1 On Nov 13, 2005, at 5:51 am, Willie Wong wrote:
2 >
3 > If you have line-of-sight, you might be able to make do with a
4 > pair of directional antennae set up in the right way, and you might
5 > need a way of increasing the power output of the antennae. Any such
6 > modifications, however, is surely ILLEGAL in most civilized
7 > municipalities.
8 >
9 > The long-range wireless guys who have been doing stuff like this all
10 > have ham licenses, and are allowed quite a bit more power from their
11 > devices then us lowly consumers....
12
13 I think you're mistaken here. 802.11 is on an unregulated part of the
14 frequency spectrum, so ham radio operators have no more rights when
15 operating in it than the rest of us.
16
17 802.11 is perfectly achievable over distances of a kilometer, providing
18 line of sight is available, and legally. The requirement is not to emit
19 more than a certain signal strength (about 18dB or 20dB, I think) but
20 signal strength is a product of transmitter power and amplification
21 caused by the aerial. A very directional aerial amplifies the signal
22 lots, but if you combine this with a low-power transmitter then you can
23 still creep in under the legal signal strength.
24
25 One might ask, "but if I'm transmitting 20dB with a low-power
26 directional aerial, that gives me the same range as 20dB using a
27 non-directional aerial (like the rubber-jacketed kind that are supplied
28 with wireless cards) at high-power" but this doesn't take into account
29 receive attenuation. The directional aerial at the OTHER end will pick
30 up the signal more clearly - it's listening in only one direction and
31 effectively "amplifies" that signal for the receiver.
32
33 Instructions for building directional aerials are posted widely on the
34 net, and the OP will be able to find them easily with a bit of
35 searching (check out the Seattle Wireless & Guerilla Wireless websites)
36 but it's harder to find wireless cards that will transmit at low enough
37 power to make them (legally) useful. Last time I checked I could only
38 find the expensive Cisco "Aeronet" (??) kit to be documented as being
39 used in this way; I suspect there's not much available in
40 Linux-compatible "54G" kit out there. When I looked at doing this
41 line-of-sight was a bigger hurdle.
42
43 Stroller.
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list