From: Richard Cox <khabi@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:13:56
1 On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 01:27:44PM -0500, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > Tempers flare over ... preinstalled linux distros?
3
4 I don't think tempers are flaring at all. :) I'm always willing to discuss this stuff, the issue is if this is relevent to this exact list or not. Maybe if dell had annouced they were going to preinstall gentoo on their machines it would be more relevent.
5
6 Since this thread seems to be gathering alot of opinions, I have no problem with it anymore tho. Purely for the fact that its now interesting. I may be the minority on that however.
9 > The fact is, Linux needs some evangelists right now. I for one would
10 > love to see microsoft's market saturation drop some, and I don't think
11 > I have to explain how much that would help the open source commutity,
12 > the internet, and the whole IT industry worldwide. At the risk of
13 > being melodramatic, I insist that the stranglehold over PCs that
14 > windows holds must end.
15
16 I'm probably going to get called out for this, and feel free to flame away, but why does it have to come to an end? You use the right tool for the right job. Windows is common and lots of people know it, so for them its the right tool. I'm willing to admit that. If they're willing to take up the advantages / disadvantages of deploying it, good for them. For us here, we could probably get the same task done in linux, and thats fine too.
17
18 To use an overly exagerated quote.. "Why can't we all just get along?"
19
20 > If only people would continue to build momentum for linux as a viable
21 > commodity OS, then we could move to a point where people would be
22 > comfortable with it in their offices too, and only then will the
23 > hardware industry really have to respond in kind.
24
25 Unfortunatly I do have to agree with you there, getting more people using linux is probably the best wayt o get the hardware industry more onboard with drivers, etc. But I'm willing to bet that if they did come on board, they would all be closed source binary drivers. So I'm a bit torn here.
26
27 > The neat computers in the world today deserver Linux, and let's face
28 > it, we all deserve to be gurus on 90% of computers and not 5%.
29
30 I'm truthfully okay with being in that 5%. Maybe its just my elite-ism poking out its evil little head here. Being a primarily linux guy has never been a hinderance to me, even if I am the minority.
31
32 > Sure, I don't want to by a ubuntu install either, but still, I argue
33 > that it's a big step in a good direction. I hope y'all agree with
34 > that.
35
36 I think its still to early to say if its good or not. It all depends on the implimentation. I could be good, it could go horribly horribly wrong. Time will tell. :)
37
38 > Death to Tyrants! Long live open source! Long live Linux!
39
40 Long live to whatever works!
43 > Sincerely, Dan Farrell.
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
48 :)
49
50 Take me with a grain of salt, sometimes I babble.
51 Richard Cox
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list