From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:53:57
1 On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 09:52:55AM +0000, Richard Bradfield wrote:
2 > On Thu, 7 Dec 2017, at 09:28, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 > > > I incorporated ZFS' expansion inflexibility into my planned
4 > > > maintenance/servicing budget.
5 > >
6 > > What was the conclusion? That having no more free slots meant that you
7 > > can just as well use the inflexible Raidz, otherwise would have gone with
8 > > Mirror?
9 >
10 > Correct, I had gone back and forth between RaidZ2 and a pair of Mirrors.
11 > I needed the space to be extendable, but I calculated my usage growth
12 > to be below the rate at which drive prices were falling, so I could
13 > budget to replace the current set of drives in 3 years, and that
14 > would buy me a set of bigger ones when the time came.
15
16 I see. I'm always looking for ways to optimise expenses and cut down on
17 environmental footprint by keeping stuff around until it really breaks. In
18 order to increase capacity, I would have to replace all four drives, whereas
19 with a mirror, two would be enough.
20
21 > I did also investigate USB3 external enclosures, they're pretty
22 > fast these days.
23
24 When I configured my kernel the other day, I discovered network block
25 devices as an option. My PC has a hotswap bay[0]. Problem solved. :) Then I
26 can do zpool replace with the drive-to-be-replaced still in the pool, which
27 improves resilver read distribution and thus lessens the probability of a
28 failure cascade.
29
30 [0] http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=de/node/2171