From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python-3.6.5 rebuild fails on new install
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 09:49:50
1 On Sunday, 19 August 2018 02:56:13 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 03:27:27PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote
3 >
4 > > On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > > I'm re-purposing a Lenovo T400 notebook (CORE2 and 3 gigs ram) with a
6 > > >
7 > > > 32-bit Gentoo install. I try to do "emerge -e @system" early in the
8 > > > install, when there's under 200 packages. Anyhow, python 3.6.5 is not
9 > > > rebuilding. I've put in all the "final" USE flags for the system. The
10 > > > buildlog is attached (gzipped).
11 > >
12 > > The compiler was killed with signal SIGSEGV. You probably ran out of
13 > > memory or some similar problem. Check dmesg.
14 >
15 > That would be worrisome. This is an off-lease Lenovo with 3 gigs of
16 > ram, and 6.8 gigs of swap. At this point of the install, I haven't even
17 > built X, so there's no GUI running. dmesg output is attached. The last
18 > line mentions something about python3.6m.
19
20 This is an informational message and would only be worrisome if it reported 0
21 bytes left. You can switch if off by disabling CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE in
22 the kernel.
23
24 Some ebuilds, I have chromium in mind here, can chew up all your RAM and then
25 start thrashing swap continuously. To make matters worse in pre-empting this,
26 they only do it for a few versions, then revert to better managed memory
27 usage. On a box with 4G RAM I set MAKEOPTS="-j2 -l2" for such troublesome
28 packages and swap usage is kept within normal limits.
29
30 I think the message "[drm] HPD interrupt storm" refers to some old kernel bug,
31 but it could be a regression. Which kernel are you using?
34 Regards,
35 Mick