From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Noah's ArK
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 06:52:54
1 > On 2019-11-17, at 06:19, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'd like to "preserve" some packages which do require components I don't like to have "regularly" installed any more like some depending on Python2 or are 32bit.
4
5 For Python (any version), use wheels:
6
7 https://pypi.org/project/wheel/
8
9 You would have to clone/download the packages yourself, and then run `python setup.py bdist_wheel` for them. This also ensures that you preserve compiled versions of the packages. As time goes on, these older packages will not compile against newer GCC/Clang versions without patches. Most popular packages already have wheels, although they might not have every combination built.
10
11 For anything else, if it doesn't need stuff like hardware 3D acceleration, use a VM that retains the packages you want. This also leads into...
12
13 If it does need native hardware access, use chroot and/or disk images (that you would boot into separately). I prefer to try and create barriers between 'production' (what I use everyday) and one-off things like some old game that only supports 32-bit.
14
15 You probably want to retain old versions of toolchains (GCC, binutils, Clang, LLVM, etc) in case you need to build anything (built with -mtune not -march). Use Gentoo's binpkg format for this with the `qpkg` command. These packages can also be deployed on non-Gentoo systems but YMMV as you look for dependencies.
16
17 I tend to keep old hardware around for running old software. You might want to do the same.
18
19 A lot of older (much older) x86 support is being added to MAME everyday. This may come in handy in the future to preserve older versions of Linux distros and apps/games.
20
21 https://www.mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0215.txt (search 386)
22
23 Andrew