From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 22:55:58
1 On 2016-12-16 15:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> wrote:
4
5 > > There's another dimension to this dilemma: if one wants to avoid
6 > > using a display manager and start X server directly (or via startx
7 > > or similar), then the X server must be suid for that reason, even
8 > > with KMS. Unfortunately.
11 > I've never had issues starting X using startx on a radeon using kms,
12 > and my server is not suid. Offhand I couldn't say why you've had
13 > issues with it, I haven't really looked into it in detail.
14
15 My opinion above was based on debian bug #582041 [1] and the Ubuntu
16 pages referenced by it. Note that the bug is still open. But it is
17 possible that it only remains open due to non-KMS video drivers. Now
18 that I have your opinion (and I have Radeon too), I'll give it a try.
19 Thanks.
20
21 [1]
22 https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=582041
25 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
26 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
27 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html