From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGs for kernel compilation
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:28:28
1 On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 20:11:52 +0200 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 30.04.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Andrew Savchenko:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:26:22 +0200 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 > >> That simple. The kernel is too important and the people programming it
7 > >> know what they are doing. Don't set anything. It is retarded.
8 > >>> - I don't like invoking 'CFLAGS="-O2 -march=foo"make'
9 > >>> - I don't want to set CFLAGS as a persistent environment variable.
10 > >>> - I don't want to modify the kernel Makefile
11 > >>>
12 > >>> Does it actually make sense to set an optimization level and -march?
13 > >> no
14 > > While I completely agree with you that kernel CFLAGS should not be
15 > > randomly tampered with, I can't agree that -march itself is useless.
16 > > Tests and results are available here:
17 > > https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch
18 > >
19 > > Optimization is a very powerful tool if taken with care. Of course
20 > > it may lead to a disastrous result if mindlessly used.
21 > >
22 > > Best regards,
23 > > Andrew Savchenko
24 >
25 > if your mail client or browser is miscompiled, it is crashy, but worst
26 > case, a bunch of emails or bookmarks are lost.
27 >
28 > If the kernel fucks up, it might write across partition boundaries and
29 > destroy ALL your data. Or writes garbage instead of data.
30 >
31 > Don't f* with the kernel.
32
33 That's why we have tests. Follow the link above. As for a personal
34 experience: we have kernels with this patch and gcc native
35 optimization in production for several years. Results are fine
36 (no kernel related issues).
37
38 In order not to crash kernel, do not add -ffast-math there. You
39 need to have some understanding before touching such stuff.
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew Savchenko