From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Possible new gentoo user
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:18:04
1 On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Terry Eck wrote:
2
3 > I've been a SuSE user for several years now currently running 10.0.
4 > I'm interested in giving gentoo a try with the object of converting
5 > from SuSE to gentoo. I've been looking at this list for a couple of
6 > weeks and have determined that there may be a steep learning curve
7 > on my part converting. Any words of advice on getting up to speed
8 > using gentoo before I install it.
9 One suggestion: get a KNOPPIX CD and install from that
10 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml)
11 This way you will have a GUI (KDE) right from the start.
12
13 While you have several years of experience with linux, I had a few
14 months with RH7.3, and only Apple (MacOS 8.6) before that. So, if I
15 could do it...
16 There was no genkernel then and no graphical installer. Didn't miss any.
17 The major problem was to configure the kernel from scratch, but I
18 managed it somehow.
19 Good luck.
22 Jorge Almeida
23 --