From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Linux Ecosystem (with funny references to Gentoo vs Canonical)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:53:47
1 On Tue, February 10, 2009 11:12 pm, Joshua D Doll wrote:
2 > Roy Wright wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday 10 February 2009, Joshua D Doll wrote:
5 >>>> Saphirus Sage wrote:
6 >>>>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 >>>>>> http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1069
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>> I found it quite interesting that even Gentoo beat Canonical in the
10 >>>>>> amount of patches contributed upstream...
11 >>>>> Good find, I actually didn't know about E-Trade using Gentoo
12 >>>>> servers. I
13 >>>>> don't think it should be too surprising that Gentoo would contribute
14 >>>>> more patches than Conical, as until today, I'd only actually heard of
15 >>>>> one of them.
16 >>>> This video brought up an interesting question by my friend (an ubuntu
17 >>>> user). How would one go about getting Canonical or the ubuntu
18 >>>> community
19 >>>> to change their practice of not contributing fixes back upstream?
20 >>>> Without having to change distributions.
21 >>>
22 >>> Gentoo involves you more with what goes bad under the bonnet and the
23 >>> average Gentoo user is more interested in the workings of their OS to
24 >>> attempt troubleshooting it and filing bugs. Your average Ubuntu user
25 >>> is less likely to get their hands dirty, unless they are a dev. So,
26 >>> essentially we are talking about different user profiles here. To
27 >>> answer your friend's hypothetical question - he would either have to
28 >>> change your average Ubuntu's user technical aptitude, or change the
29 >>> user. Either attempt may mean the end of Ubuntu as we know it.
30 >>
31 >> The ubuntus are targeted at disgruntled windows users while gentoo is
32 >> targeted at unix users. The former are used to complaining and
33 >> getting no response while the later know it's their responsibility to
34 >> help make it better...
35 >>
36 >> Have fun,
37 >> Roy
40 > I think you may be right with your assessment there Roy. The only
41 > solution I could up with was to change distributions he didn't like that
42 > suggestion, not sure why, because changing distros is like changing
43 > underwear. Maybe he has some strange fascination with Ubunutu's pretty
44 > color scheme?
45
46 Wouldn't the following solve that though?
47 # echo "x11-themes/gtk-engines-ubuntulooks ~*"
48 # emerge gtk-engines-ubuntulooks
49
50 It's currently at version 0.9.12-r2. I have not used this, so I have no
51 clue how well this works.
54 Joost