From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:59:57
1 On 12/28/12 13:15, pk wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-28 00:24, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> Well, yeah, that's the point. I want to install Gentoo in my mother's
5 >> PC, and never have to go to her house because someting broke.
6 >
7 > I really don't have the time nor the inclination to continue this but...
8 > Why would you in that case install Gentoo and not Fedora? They (Fedora)
9 > do the "kitchen-and-sink-installation" with systemd, which begs the
10 > question: Why are you using Gentoo in the first place? I'm asking
11 > because I honestly don't see why you would want to use it if you just
12 > don't want to care about how the system works...
15 This has nothing to do with (e)udev, but Gentoo is actually easier to
16 keep working than any of the distributions that change everything all at
17 once on a Monday morning.
18
19 Fedora et al. are only easier to maintain for friends/family if you
20 don't plan on having the machine (or friend) for more than a year.