From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 07:02:19
1 17.02.2014 00:19, Canek Peláez Valdés пишет:
2 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
3 > [ snip ]
4 >> Isn't there too many "if you believe" and "if you agree"? A church of
5 >> systemd? ;)
6 >
7 > As I said to Tanstaafl, it gets kind of philosophical.
8
9 Even religious.
10
11 > Technically, systemd is the obvious superior choice, and that's why
12 > the TC voted for it in Debian (read the discussion).
13
14 Oh I have read so many discussions already... :)
15 To me, systemd's technical superiority is far not obvious. Just another
16 init system would be, but as long as systemd is much more that one, I
17 can't say that. It should NOT be compared to OpenRC / upstart alone,
18 rather to a whole bunch of tools it replaces, and probably even those
19 it's ambitious to replace.
20
21 >> I wonder why all systemd's fancy stuff hasn't yet been integrated into any
22 >> existing init system, because of theoretical impossibility or just practical
23 >> uselessness?
24 >
25 > If it's "practically useless", why so many distributions keep choosing
26 > it? Why GNOME started using it?
27
28 Well, I said that technical superiority matters little for maintainers;
29 what matters is money. If I'd write some super-puper fancy init system
30 and kernel replacement, who would be interested? It's not the time of
31 Linus' rise, now you don't deal with USENET freaks, but with Intel,
32 RedHat and other billionaire corps. Do you have the guts and means to
33 keep up with competitors, even not about kernel/init subsystems, but a
34 user app like mailer/browser/messenger...
35 A kernel subsystem requires much more technical competence to maintain
36 and is far more critical for functioning, so much more important here is
37 not any 'technical superiority' but simply resources, human and
38 financial, spared if using RH-maintained systemd.
39
40 >> Actually why not do the daemon management, logging, cron etc in the Linux
41 >> kernel itself? It's obvious, and we even have a perfect example of
42 >> kernel-integrated graphics around -- `guess the OS name`. It also has much
43 >> in common with systemd; "Believe us it's the best OS", "Believe us it
44 >> provides loads of features", "Agree with having binary logs" etc.
45 >
46 > All the software is libre; with only that any comparison to Microsoft
47 > becomes moot.
48
49 Once you mentioned "technical superiority", let's compare other stuff
50 technically too. :)
51
52 >> A competent approach for choosing software for a task is answering the
53 >> questions:
54 >> 1. Is the software standards-compliant?
55 >> 2. Does the software have an alternative compatible implementation?
56 >> 3. Is the software developed to achieve a certain, concrete goal?
57 >> 4. Does the software achieve the goal?
58 >> 5. Does the software achieve the goal "gracefully"?
59 >> 6. Does the software have a clear perspective and view what it will be like?
60 >> 7. Is the software developed and maintained by a reliable company or group?
61 >
62 > That's *your* approach. It's certainly not my approach: I don't care
63 > if Emacs is "standards-compliant" (whatever that means for a text
64 > editor); I don't care if Inkscape has an alternative compatible
65 > implementation; and for the rest of your questions, my answer would be
66 > yes.
67
68 You don't care about Emacs and Inkscape but do you care the same nought
69 about e.g. /bin/cp, /bin/mv etc? Do you care that your browser talks
70 HTTP rather than SHiTP? Do you care that once after a couple of years
71 your systems get unmaintained and unmaintainable because the software on
72 them becomes a load of bashed up crap which only a world's head lennart
73 can deal with? Well, you'll say that red hat tralala, but we've seen the
74 rise and fall of many giants e.g. Sun with their once 'technically
75 superior' Solaris and SPARCs, well one can name many I just don't have
76 time, also we seen MySQL bought by Oracle, and all.
77 Nothing is eternal, and it's (Again!) quite not always technical matters
78 that matters.
79
80 >> AFAICT, with systemd there's by far one "yes". The other answers are dubious
81 >> if just plain "no".
82 >
83 > From your point of view.
84 >
85 >> I'd personally share Alan McKinnon's POV: there's no real reason to switch
86 >> to systemd since the present init systems serve pretty well and the benefit,
87 >> if any, isn't worth the adaptation threshold.
88 >
89 > That's fine; you don't have to use systemd. But if (as an extreme and
90 > unlikely example), Gentoo decided to switch exclusively to systemd,
91 > then either someone willing and able would need to come out ant start
92 > maintaining the alternatives, or then you should do it.
93
94 At present, no. But the trend is clear.
95
96 > That's how free software works.
97
98 Actually, free software (one you don't pay for) works like any other
99 software you pay for. You probably wanted to say "that's how the OSS
100 model works" but it's getting less and less true. The OSS model in many
101 cases retains only its open source. Take MySQL, take KDE, take GNOME.
102 Who cares about users? We do what we deem feasible regardless if you
103 like it or not. Don't like it? C'mon, fork, it's free. C'mon, it's
104 technically superior. C'mon, who are you? An admin? A programmer? A
105 Bachelor/PhD? Ha, man, we're BILLIONAIRES. That says it. We GRANT you
106 our software AS IS. And its source. And its bugtrackers. We make
107 business by the fact that we have millions of free testers 'round the
108 world. We can afford that. If you can afford forking and maintaining,
109 c'mon man.
110
111 >> But why then is Linux drifting to systemd? The answer is simple: money. Time
112 >> is money. You have to support two init systems -> twice the time, twice the
113 >> money. Sooner or later, a sum of money will outweigh the users' opinion. To
114 >> be a realist, one has to admit that in near future 90% of new distro
115 >> versions will be systemd-based. Unless some green soxx emerge and take over
116 >> Red Hat...
117 >
118 > I don't think neither time nor money had to do with Debian's (nor
119 > Arch's, nor OpenSuse's, nor Maegia's, nor Sabayon's) decision.
120
121 It's not in terms "think" or "don't think". It's a fact.
122
123 > It's just technically superior. But's that's just my opinion, and what
124 > I believe ;)
125
126 That's a good thing to believe in. It's hard to prove, hard to see,
127 impossible to test all cases.
128 Money is what you don't believe in. You either have it enough or not.
129
130 > So, amen? :D
131
132 Amen. :D