From: Ernie Schroder <schroder@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux design software recommendations
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:53:39
1 On Sunday 26 March 2006 11:57, a tiny voice compelled Álvaro Castro to write:
2 > Hello!!
3 >
4 > Well, I'm an architecture student who has wasted tons
5 > of time trying to get gentoo runing all kind of
6 > necessary software for my studies.
7 >
8 > Maybe if I tell you what software I use, it will help
9 > you:
10 >
11 > For 3d:
12 > Maya for linux (prop.)
13 > Pro/E for linux (prop.)
14 > Blender -> IT'S REALLY GOOD (probably one of the best
15 > pieces of software available) It is just not used for
16 > companies.
17 >
18 > For video:
19 > Cinelerra
20 >
21 > For vectorial drawing:
22 > Sodipodi
23 > Scribus (I really like it, it has all the necessary
24 > things) -> use it instead of Adobe Indesign or
25 > Illustrator
26 >
27 > For raster images:
28 > Well, of course, GIMP
29 >
30 > For CAD:
31 > Qcad (It is reeeeeeaaally BAD) unuseful for Autocad
32 > people.
33 > BricsCAD (prop.) It works OK for Autocad users. You
34 > can get a Demo.
37 > As you can see, unfortunately, there are still some
38 > points where CAD/CAM and architecture linux users need
39 > some propietary software. I tried many other programs
40 > (like Varicad and so on) but they, simply, make you
41 > waste your time.
42 >
43 > Make any other question about this topic, I think I
44 > can help you.
45 >
46 > Good luck!!
47 >
48 > .alvaro.castro.
53 > LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
54 > Llamadas a fijos y móviles desde 1 céntimo por minuto.
55 > http://es.voice.yahoo.com
56
57 There is BRL Cad.... a bit**h to use but free and open sourced, no ebuild and
58 it's maintained by the US Army http://www.brlcad.org/
59 --
60 Regards, Ernie
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list