From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from dmraid
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:32:47
1 On Sonntag 14 Dezember 2008, Aram Havarneanu wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have followed this guide:
5 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/NVRAID_with_dmraid and practically
6 > everything is working. However, I want to make things better.
7 >
8 > I have used genkernel (with a custom config) because it is very easy
9 > to set up dmraid apparently. I am not happy with this because
10 > genkernel generates a 21MB initrd that runs some autoload scripts that
11 > load modules for every hardware device I don't have.
12 >
13 > I wonder why can't I statically compile dmraid support in the kernel
14 > and not require an initrd file. Is that possible?
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17
18 is there any good reason to use dmraid and not md raid?