From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge --sync source
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 14:29:57
1 On 2019-03-07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I can think of 3 things, but more learned M/L contributors may add to these:
4 >
5 > 1. The SATA connection has come loose. With time and movement it can come
6 > (slightly) adrift. Pushing it back in fully fixes this problem - also see No.
7 > 2 below.
8 >
9 > 2. The physical connector's contacts are beginning to oxidise. Reseat the
10 > SATA cable connectors both on the drive and any ribbons on the MoBo. This
11 > usualy cleans any oxidisation.
12 >
13 > 3. The AHCI driver is deploying energy saving measures (aka. Aggressive Link
14 > Power Management - ALPM). Check the output of:
15 >
16 > cat /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy
17 >
18 > If it doesn't say 'max_performance' you'll need to revisit your BIOS settings
19 > and also PCIEASPM settings in the kernel.
20 >
21 > 4. Finally, there is a chance the PSU is playing up.
22
23 Perhaps it's already been mentioned, but failing RAM can cause all
24 sorts failures that might appear to be failing disks, failing network
25 cards, failing video cards whatever. I'd run memtest86 for at least
26 12 hours just to make sure...
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Well, O.K.
30 at I'll compromise with my
31 gmail.com principles because of
32 EXISTENTIAL DESPAIR!