From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Consolekit and elogind switch questions
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 03:38:36
1 Howdy,
2
3 I subscribe to -dev and read things to get a heads up mostly.  I noticed
4 a news item being started concerning consolekit and switching to
5 elogind.  From my understanding it is similar to the difference of udev
6 and eudev in that it just pulls the code needed when not using systemd
7 and friends.  I do have consolekit here and since the news item and the
8 migration guide mentions removing consolekit, I'm pretty sure the news
9 item has my name all over it and I'm about to switch.  Given the
10 outdated nature of consolekit, may be a good thing.
11
12 Before I start down this road, I have questions.  What exactly is it?
13 Is it the screen that pops up when X starts and asks for my login?  Is
14 it something inside KDE itself that manages the Desktop itself?  I think
15 the first one is sddm.  So I'm suspecting it is the later one.  Or is it
16 something that I won't even notice the change in?  Something that runs
17 in the background and I don't see?  Just trying to figure out exactly
18 what it is I'm changing, not that I'm against it because it seems it is
19 needed.
20
21 Has anyone already switched and if so, was it fairly straight forward
22 and easy or did it require something outside the norm, like shutting
23 down X and doing from a console?  I generally update etc from a Konsole
24 inside KDE.  One of the things mentioned something about a session
25 becoming corrupted during this is one reason I ask.  This comment:
26 "Migration is easy, but if run from within a consolekit session that
27 session may become broken."  I'm not sure but I think Konsole uses
28 consolekit.  Heck, console itself may use it too.
29
30 If someone has a screenshot that shows the difference, I'd love to see
31 it.  Post a link to a pic hosting site, send it off list or whatever
32 works.  I tried to google for screenshots but most mention Gnome and I
33 use KDE.  I also poked around Gentoo but it seems to be Gnome as well.
34 Add in that I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I may not know it when I
35 see it anyway.  LOL
36
37 Also, are there any other options to elogind?  Is that the only option
38 when using KDE?
39
40 Thanks to anyone who can clear up some of this confusion on my part.
41
42 Dale
43