From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ~gcc-4.7.0
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 00:39:00
1 On 05/29/2012 04:54 AM, walt wrote:
2 > Maybe a year ago I started having problems building virtualbox on my
3 > older/smaller machine. There is one place which ran through my puny
4 > 1GB of ram and then went on to fill up another 2GB of swap before
5 > oomkill stepped in.
6 >
7 > That turned out to be a gcc bug, and a proper fix was added to gcc
8 > 4.7.0 but not back-ported to 4.5.3, which I'm still using.
9 >
10 > Since then I scavenged half of that 1GB of RAM for my wife's machine,
11 > so it should be fun to try to build virtualbox with the other half :)
12
13 Very cool :) I just built virtualbox with gcc-4.7.0 on my old machine
14 with 0.5 GB of ram and had no problems whatever. I also pulled from
15 Linus.git and compiled his latest kernel with gcc-4.7.0, no problems.
16
17 So far, so good.