From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] df and du difference
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:56:36
1 On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 07:50, <platoali@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > the difference between du and df is about 640 - 188 = 452 MB. and "df" is
4 > showing that my root is full 2.4 times more than "du".
5 >
6 > which one is the correct one? I've another server that this difference is
7 > about 7 GiG and on that server root is 80% full. The type of partition is
8 > ext3.
9
10 Next to the difference due journaling etc, there is one important
11 difference between du en df:
12 deleted files held open by a running process. du doesn't count these
13 files, df does.
14 You can find those files with lsof | grep "deleted". Try closing the
15 process with deleted files and suddenly your du en df will give the
16 same free diskspace.
17 Ofcourse, a reboot does also the trick.
18
19 Ward