From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fresh install on reboot endless scrolling text
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 00:50:47
1 I've just completed first part of a fresh install.
2
3 Mounted the new root and emerged a few things while still chrooted.
4
5 It'd be difficult to list quickly since I can't boot it, but the
6 highlights are:
7
8 eix
9 genkernel
10 gentoolkit
11 gentoolkit-dev
12 gentoo-sources
13 grub
14 lynx
15 ntp
16 reiserfsprogs
17 rsyslog
18 vim
19 vixie-cron
20
21 And a number of dependancies pulled in from my use flags.
22
23 I didn't want to start from scratch dinking around with kernel params
24 so elected to go the `genkernel all' route, hoping that with that much
25 junk being compiled... surely I'd get whatever I needed to start the
26 process of building up this installation.
27
28 I realize there are many who have lots of rants against genkernel but
29 unless you think that is the core of the problem... please hold off on
30 advice to build my own kenel.
31
32 kernel = 2.6.29-r5
33
34 What I see on reboot:
35
36 Normal booting appears to be going along then moments after dev is
37 mounted followed by filesystems... a massive screen full of text
38 begins scrolling by and never stops.
39
40 Impossible to read any of the text and neither pause/break or
41 scroll/lock keys have any effect.
42
43 Appears to be a continuous wrapping line repeated.
44
45 But it completely kills the boot process, and no further progress is
46 possible.
47
48 I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install media.