From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Advice for 64-bit n00b?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:17:06
1 On Donnerstag 04 März 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 03/04/2010 08:44 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
3 > > Volker Armin Hemmann<volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
4 > >> no, it is not safe to have a 64bit only system. Just choose the multilib
5 > >> profile and start installing. If something needs the 32bit emul libs, it
6 > >> will pull the stuff in. There is nothing you need to care about.
7 > >
8 > > What is unsafe about a 64bit only system? Surely if it were unsafe then
9 > > Gentoo would not offer no-multilib profiles? I have recently built 2
10 > > systems using a no-multilib profile and have not found any problems, and
11 > > expect to start building a third one today.
12 >
13 > You didn't understand the question Volker was replying to. The question
14 > was not about "safe" as in "security", but rather "safe" as in "I can
15 > rest assured that a no-multilib system can run every software I could
16 > install", which is clearly not the case since some applications need
17 > 32-bit support.
18
19 exactly. As Alan explained, there might be a point where you need to run a
20 32bit app.
21 Maybe some legacy game (Civilization Call To Power comes to mind) or some new-
22 but-the-vendor-sucks software.
23 Without multilib you can either choose not to use that software (which isn't a
24 choice if you really need it) or you can reinstall everything.
25
26 And all that for a couple of megabytes on a tens, maybe hundreds of gigabytes
27 harddisk.
28
29 du -h /usr/lib32
30 362M /usr/lib32
31
32 but:
33 rootfs 57G 23G 34G 41% /
34
35 yeah, shocking. Almost a 114th of the harddisk used for multilib stuff ;)