From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sudo echo
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:48:21
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:58:09 +0100, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alright, then run
5 >> sudo bash -c 'echo some_string >> some_file'
6 >> No problem here :)
7 >
8 > Except this means you have to give the user permission to run bash, and
9 > subsequently any command as root.
10
11 True. But with "sudo su -c", you've got to have the same
12 sort of trust, don't you?
13
14 > You may as well give them the root
15 > password and let them use su.
16
17 Or don't give the root password and use sudo for everything,
18 which is what Ubuntu is doing. Using sudo instead of su
19 is better in so far, as you're not so likely to run everything
20 in a root shell (yes, I know that "sudo bash" is possible).
21
22 Alexander Skwar
23 --
24 It is generally agreed that "Hello" is an appropriate greeting because
25 if you entered a room and said "Goodbye," it could confuse a lot of people.
26 -- Dolph Sharp, "I'm O.K., You're Not So Hot"
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list