From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdadm fails to add drive to arry
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:55:36
1 On 9/2/06, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > It is existing. But possible it may have legitamatly failed. Here is a log generated today when I
3 > tried to add it back into the array.
4 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] end_request: I/O error, dev hdj, sector 586099263
5 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] Buffer I/O error on device hdj1, logical block 146524800
6 > ...
7 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] lost page write due to I/O error on hdj1
8 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] end_request: I/O error, dev hdj, sector 586099263
9 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] md: disabled device hdj1, could not read superblock.
10 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] md: hdj1 has invalid sb, not importing!
11 > Sep 2 09:11:02 [kernel] md: md_import_device returned -22
12
13 Ah, yeah, that looks bad to me. And since it is on a write, that
14 probably means the drive has also ran out of the sectors it has
15 reserved for automatically replacing failed ones. You could probably
16 run some additional tests using smartctl, but I think it is probably
17 just time to get a replacement drive.
18
19 > Does all of this suggest a complete and total drive failure? :-) I orginally built this md4 array
20 > as a Raid 5 from three of the cheepest drives that I could find (Maxtors). Then a couple of
21 > months later, one drive died. So I converted the remaining to into a raid 1. Now this one seems
22 > to have died. I guess I am learning my leason about buying cheep hardware. Fortunately I have a
23 > back-up of everything on this array.
24
25 Yeah, probably. I don't know why exactly, but it seems quite common
26 that when you buy several drives of the same make/model at the same
27 time (and thus, they probably come from the same lot), if one fails,
28 you can expect others to fail soon afterwards. It seems like you are
29 better off buying from different manufacturers in this case.
30
31 -Richard
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list