From: ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uh Oh!! Made the contents of my directory unreadable
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:27:21
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 01:58 +0800, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
3 >
4 >> With this command or similar, I made my directory and one file in /
5 >> unreadable:
6 >>
7 >> for entry in $(find $HOME); do $entry >> found; done
10 > er... you just executed everything in your home directory and piped the
11 > output to a file... I think you wanted "do echo $entry"? or the simpler
12 > "find $HOME >> found"?
13 >
14 > anyway, it shouldn't have corrupted your filesystem, but it looks like
15 > it did.
18 >> Any ideas on how to fix this?
21 > you probably want to shutdown and fsck your filesystem. Then, start
22 > looking for your backups :(
25 Did just that. But no luck with fsck. So I had a tarballed and bzip2ed
26 backup from about a month ago and used that. Thanks for the suggestions
27 anyway guys :)