From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] update-modules obsolete?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:04:38
1 For some reason I've never before had to fool with update-modules
2 because all my needed kernel modules just load by magic when I boot.
3
4 Now I'm fiddling with a virtualbox gentoo guest on a gentoo host,
5 and the vboxvideo kernel module is not loading 'by magic' in the
6 guest machine.
7
8 So, how to do it? When I edit /etc/conf.d/modules to include the
9 vboxvideo module and run update-modules -f -v I see:
10
11 "No need to generate modprobe.conf
12 Skipping /etc/modprobe.conf generation (generate-modprobe.conf
13 doesn't exist)"
14
15 True enough, generate-modprobe.conf doesn't exist any longer on
16 my ~x86 and ~amd64 machines.
17
18 I'm running openrc-0.8.2-r1, baselayout-2.0.3, and module-init-tools-
19 3.16-r1.
20
21 Which HOWTO do I need to read to get myself up-to-date :)
22
23 Many thanks for any clues.