From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] IMAP servers
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:03:11
1 This is not so much a problem as an 'I wonder'...
2
3 I currently use dovecot imap with maildir to support several dozen
4 folders containing several gigabytes of mail using Thunderbird as a mail
5 client. This "works" - but I am surprised by the number of imap
6 processes that the mail server is running to support a single
7 Thunderbird client... it appears that there is one connection per folder
8 and one process per connection... which seems (to me at least) to be
9 overkill.
10
11 I'm aware that there are lots of IMAP clients I might have chosen -
12 Courier; UWImap, Cyrus and dovecot... but I'm finding it difficult to
13 establish details which would help me choose the most appropriate server
14 for my purposes. In order of importance, I'm interested in:
15
16 1. Stability and reliability.
17 2. Scalability to handle a very large number of 'folders' for a
18 relatively small number of end-users.
19 3. Performance (primarily with respect to 'new mail'
20 notifications, but also, to a lesser extent, with searching archived
21 messages.
22
23 I'd be interested to hear any anecdotes from Gentooists who have
24 addressed a similar question recently...
25
26 Steve
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list