From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 16:14:55
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 02:52:54 +0100, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> >> I only know what the names are when I can look them up when the
6 >> >> computer is running. I don't call that "predictable".
7 >
8 > That's because you are using a different definition of predictable from
9 > that intended.
10
11 I'm not using a definition but understanding. If you are about
12 definitions, then you should invent a new word by using the intended
13 definition and call the unrecognisable names by your new word.
14
15 >> > If they are constructed according to specific rules, they are
16 >> > predictable, by definition.
17 >>
18 >> You're overlooking that you need to know exactly, in advance, what the
19 >> rules are applied to, and all the rules, for having a chance that your
20 >> prediction turns out to be correct.
21 >
22 > So how do you write udev rules to rename ports without knowing the
23 > specifics of the hardware?
24
25 I don't.
26
27 > How do you know which port will be eth0 and which will be eth1 the first
28 > time you boot if you use no renaming?
29
30 I don't, I only know that they will be called eth0 and eth1. With
31 unrecognisable names, I don't know anything.
32
33 > I really don't see your objection to a setting that, while a default, is
34 > trivial to change, even before you boot the installed distro for the
35 > first time. It is clearly useful to others, otherwise they would not have
36 > invested time and effort in implementing. If, in doing so, they had ruled
37 > out all alternatives, you would have a point. Those alternative are still
38 > there, so all you are doing is whining.
39
40 That's the usual method of calling something "whining" when someone has
41 run out of arguments and/or doesn't understand what someone else is
42 saying.
43
44 > No one has taken away your choice to do things how you see fit, why do
45 > you want to do the same for others.
46 >
47 > The choices are there, why not just use the one you want and leave others
48 > to use what they want.
49
50 Where did I say that anyone must use particular names for their network
51 interfaces?
52
53 It's the other way round in that the unrecognisable names have been
54 forced upon everyone because they were made the default. You can either
55 use them or change them, and both requires additional work. Why wasn't
56 the extra work forced upon those who want to use the unrecognisable
57 names?