From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] postgresql 9.5.2 versus Gentoo wiki install instructions?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 02:36:50
1 Yes, I did RTFM at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PostgreSQL/QuickStart
2 and that's part of my problem. <G> I figured it would be a simple
3 search and replace "9.3" ==> "9.5" in the wiki, but...
4
5 1) The wiki recommends...
6 PG_INITDB_OPTS="--locale=en_US.UTF-8"
7
8 ...but I get...
9
10 > The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.iso88591".
11 > initdb: "en_US.UTF8" is not a valid server encoding name
12
13 "locale -a" returns...
14 C
15 POSIX
16 en_US
17 en_US.iso88591
18 en_US.utf8
19
20 2) The wiki says...
21 > This time the focus is upon the files in the PGDATA directory,
22 > /etc/postgresql-9.3 , instead with primary focus on the
23 > postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files.
24
25 "ls /etc/postgresql-9.5/" returns...
26 postgresql.conf psqlrc
27
28 but postgresql seems to want them in /var/lib instead...
29
30 > mv: cannot stat '/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/data/pg_hba.conf': No such
31 > file or directory
32 > mv: cannot stat '/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/data/pg_ident.conf': No
33 > such file or directory
34 > mv: cannot stat '/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/data/postgresql.conf':
35 > No such file or directory
36
37 Can somebody please confirm the correct way to go?
38
39 Why I want postgresql... I've been keeping a bunch of data in a
40 spreadsheet, and it's gotten too large. The spreadsheet locks up my
41 system when I try to update it. I've used "top" and watched as
42 gnumeric's memory consumption grows to eat all available ram. It locks
43 up the system so I can't even ssh in. This is on an X86_64 with 8 gigs
44 of RAM! Fortunately, "magic-sysrq" allows a relatively clean shutdown.
45 While we're at it, is there a way for gnumeric to pull in data directly
46 from postgresql? ODBC? I'm aware of copying from postgresql to a CSV
47 file and importing that, but it's rather clunky.
48
49 My main problem is that columns of several thousand rows are functions
50 based on other columns of several thousand rows. For the time-being,
51 I've split up the spreadsheet into a few pieces, but a database is the
52 best solution. If I could run the calculations in the database, and
53 pull in the final results as static numbers for graphing, that would
54 greatly reduce the strain on the spreadsheet. Or is it possible to
55 graph directly from postgresql?
56
57 I used to work with Oracle and PL/SQL before I retired, so I think I
58 know what I'm getting into as far as the database stuff is concerned.
59 Once I get past the Gentoo-specific install problems, I'll subscribe to
60 a postgresql mailing list, and ask postgresql-specific questions there.
63 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
64 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications