From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:00:10
1 On 23/01/2013 19:48, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi Gentoo-users,
3 > I always thought the right way to update everything was:
4 >
5 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
6 > emerge --update --deep --newuse system
7 >
8 > When I try the above mentioned, nothing to update is found.
9 > Yet when I try i.e. "emerge --pretend nasm", I see:
10 >
11 > [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.10.05 [2.10.01]
12 >
13 > So there is apparently update for dev-lang/nasm, yet it was
14 > not pulled when I tried to update the "world" or "system".
15 > And who knows for how many other ebuilds there is update
16 > available...
17 >
18 > So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
19
20 Using --with-bdeps helps to some extent. If you really want to upgrade
21 everything then this should work, assuming that portage-utils is installed:
22
23 emerge -au1 $(qlist -ICS)
24
25 In practice, one doesn't need to for the reasons stated elsewhere in
26 this thread. Taking nasm as an example, if you use it and care about
27 receiving timely updates then it ought to be in your world file, as it
28 would be if installed explicitly.
29
30 Cheers,
31