From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:11:19
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com>
3 > Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 07:57
4 > To: Gentoo mailing list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
8 > On both of my systems the network card speed is showing 1000
9 > cat /sys/class/net/enp4s0/speed 1000
10 >
11 > but when I do rsync larage file I only see about: 20 to 22MB/s On my home
12 > network I get about 110MB/s between PC's
13 >
14 > Both PC's have SSD and the swith is Gigabit (I think).
15 > How to find a the bottleneck?
16
17 If the PCs attached to the switch show 1000 then the switch _is_ gigabit.
18
19 On my 1Gb home network I have an FTP transfer speed between Gentoo PCs A and B of almost 900Mbps, the other way round is almost half of that. One difference between the two systems is the disk, A uses SATA-2 disk while B has SATA-3.
20
21 Does the 'B' in 110MB/s stand for byte? If so you have 880Mbps which is not bad, the problem probably lies somewhere else. Otherwise you could check the switch error count (if you have a managed switch) or the network card error count, just to ensure you don't have a cabling/connector problem.
22
23 Have you tried other transfer methods just for comparison? I think FTP is still the fastest way to transfer files, though insecure or inconvenient as it might be. I have no experience with rsync.
24
25 raffaele