From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] re: setting up binhost
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:45:13
1 I would like to set up one of my Gentoo systems as a binary host to
2 build and distribute packages that normally take longer to compile, like
3 libreoffice, firefox and thuderbird, to another Gentoo system of mine
4 with less RAM.
5
6 I've been following the instructions found here,
7 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide.
8
9 What I've done so far on the binhost is:
10 (1). I've installed lighttpd and set 'server.document-root' to PKGDIR in
11 '/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf'.
12 grep portage/packages /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
13 server.document-root = "/usr/portage/packages"
14 (2). I've built a libreoffice package using: 'quickpkg
15 app-office/libreoffice'.
16 ls /usr/portage/packages/
17 Packages app-office
18 (3). As I attempted to access http://127.0.0.1/Packages, I got a 403
19 HTTP error returned. I guess that's because of the access permissions
20 for PKGDIR.
21 ls -ld /usr/portage/packages/
22 drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jan 16 18:38 /usr/portage/packages/
23
24 If I understand it correctly, I have to decide on which protocol to use,
25 ftp, http, or ssh. Which one do folk here prefer, or would recommend?
26 The wiki article suggests setting up a binpkguser and adding a
27 client-root.id.rsa.pub to the binpkguser's authorized_keys, right? Does
28 that mean that a dedicated user has to be set up, instead of using my
29 current user account on the binhost?
30 |root # ||useradd -m -r -G portage -s /bin/bash binpkguser
31 root # ||echo clientA-root.id_rsa.pub >>
32 /home/binpkguser/.ssh/authorized_keys|
33
34 On the client system, all I have to do is set up PORTAGE_BINHOST in
35 '/etc/portage.make.conf' and emerge the binary packages desired. Is that
36 right?
37
38 Any other advise, and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.