From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Virtualization
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 07:01:31
1 On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 02:40 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nick Khamis wrote:
3 > > Hello Everyone,
4 > >
5 > > I am having no luck at all trying to emerge vmware-server 1.0.9 using
6 > > kernel .30 r5. I know vmware 2 can be instlled easily using layman but I
7 > > do not want that clunker on this 16 core server. The show must go on...
8 > > what is my safest bet XEN? I need an emulator that can handle running
9 > > mutliper virtual machines at once. I need something that is as stable as
10 > > possible. Any suggestion? For those who may have some advice regarding the
11 > > vmware-server error I am getting here it is, however; I am starting to
12 > > lose fate in vmwre 1.0.9:
15 > > The die message:
16 > > * Unable to emake HOSTCC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
17 > > CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= auto-build VMWARE_VER=VME_S1B1
18 > > KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux KBUILD_OUTPUT=/lib/modules/2.6.30-gentoo-r5/build
21 > > Thanks in Advnaced,
22 > > Ninus
25 > virtualbox?
28 I was/am using 2 instances of VB on a dual core on gentoo with fedora
29 inside - works well, though loading is mostly light but I have run some
30 tests with heavy loads and nothing broke. Mostly used to offer snmp
31 access for students to test against.
32
33 Last year I ran vmware player and that was ok, but a real pain with the
34 vmware-tools, module support and lagging kernel support creating
35 "issues". This year I gave up trying to get it to upgrade and run after
36 2-3 days work - installed VB and was in operation soon after. VB
37 upgrades just seem to work.
38
39 I have qemu (with kqemu) at home, VB, and vmware machines at work - qemu
40 is the easiest to manage, but VB isnt far behind, and seems fastest with
41 best feature set. Cloning is a bit more involved than vmware - export
42 and reload under a different name rather than just copy, but it works.
43 I am seriously considering dropping vmware at work due to its continual,
44 ongoing pain ...
45
46 Not relevant here is it also has Mac versions - there is no free Mac
47 vmware-player. Been using vmware on gentoo for windows and linux
48 variants since version 1 ...
49
50 BillK
54 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>