From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: All sorts of digest verification failures
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:43:02
1 On 2015-11-12, <wabenbau@×××××.com> <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> After an emerge --sync that appeared to work with no problems, my
5 >> "emerge -auvND world" command is reporting that the Changelong files
6 >> are broken for about 2/3 of the packages it wants to update:
7 >>
8 >> !!! Digest verification failed:
9 >> !!! /usr/portage/dev-libs/libxml2/ChangeLog
10 >> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
11 >> !!! Got: 5221
12 >> !!! Expected: 5038
13 >>
14 >> !!! Digest verification failed:
15 >> !!! /usr/portage/app-text/iso-codes/ChangeLog
16 >> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
17 >> !!! Got: 4195
18 >> !!! Expected: 4014
19 >>
20 >> [ ... and so on for another dozen or so packages ... ]
21 >>
22 >> I removed the emerge timestamp, sync'ed again, and got the same
23 >> result. Based on past experiences, I'm guessing that if I wait a day
24 >> or two and sync again the problems will go away.
25 >>
26 >> But I am curious what causes these temporary breakages. Does anybody
27 >> know how this happens?
28 >
29 > Try it again. I just synced and received new Manifest and Changelog
30 > files for every(?) package of the portage tree. But no report of bad
31 > digest.
32
33 Just for fun, I removed the files from the portage tree that were
34 reported as bad, and did another sync. Apparently, the rsync host
35 that got chosen that time had just been updated, because it downloaded
36 313 files (I didn't pay much attention to which files exactly), and
37 now emerge is happy again.
38
39 I assume that the portage trees on the rsync servers from my first two
40 attempts were in some intermediate state with new manifist files and
41 old ChangeLog files or vice versa.
42
43 In the past I've wondered how portage tree updates and rsync servers
44 are managed so that people don't run into problems like this more
45 often.
48 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is it 1974? What's
49 at for SUPPER? Can I spend
50 gmail.com my COLLEGE FUND in one
51 wild afternoon??