From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FIXED 3D
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 20:04:02
1 On Thursday 08 October 2009 21:27:57 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 10/08/2009 10:19 PM, James Ausmus wrote:
3 > > I've used it before - I can't remember what is was for, but I do
4 > > remember using nested $() commands...
5 > >
6 > > Isn't ` being deprecated (by BASH at least) anyway?
7 >
8 > Hopefully not! It's just two key presses to type "``". "$()" takes 4
9 > (shift+4+9, command, shift+0).
10
11 $() is more consistent with other syntax elements in bash, It's essentially
12 the same thing as evaluating a variable and inserting it's value. The ``
13 syntax is a wild anachronism from days long ago that is completely at odds
14 with everything else in the shell. Well, you can say that about many things in
15 bash, but that's not a good reason to not fix anything...
16
17 IIRC correctly it's not really deprecated either - that implies the thing will
18 go away some time. It's more "strongly advised not to use it"
21 > What's easier than simply pressing one single key? :-/
22
23 Ummm, not having to look for it and find it first before pressing it? How
24 about a keyboard that doesn't have it at all?
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com