From: andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub hangs when a USB disk is attached
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:14:51
1 On gio, 2008-02-28 at 12:54 -0500, Don Jerman wrote:
2 > I've had problems with disk presentation order changing (fairly
3 > randomly) when USB disks are attached during boot. Apparently there's
4 > a race between the SCSI controller and the USB controller(s). If you
5 > attach the USB disk later the SCSI stuff has all been discovered so of
6 > course it gets allocated later in the list, but if it's attached while
7 > booting the USB disk might come first or in the middle somewhere.
8 >
9 > This might lead to grub looking for its files in the wrong place,
10 > which might explain the hang.
11
12 This is exactly what happens here.
15 > If you want to test this theory, boot from a CD while the USB is
16 > installed and see where it winds up in /dev, then boot without it. Be
17 > very careful about assuming drive identities! That's how I lost my
18 > system disk last time -- /dev/sdb seemed to be partitioned funny and I
19 > figured it out just a little too late.
22 I booted in a livecd and opened a grub command line. It reads my usb
23 disk as (hd0,0).
24
25 By the way I don't like this behavior and I need a solution to fix it.
26 It is a laptop and I don't want to umount and unplug my usb disk every
27 time I need to hibernate my system.