From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh-agent & RSA
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 16:23:27
1 2009/5/12 Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>:
2 > On Tuesday 12 May 2009, 11:17, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Does ssh-agent really ask you for a passphrase when starting a
5 >> > shell?
6 >>
7 >> Not if you don't invoke it :)
8 >
9 > Sorry, that is a bit unclear. Ssh-agent will never ask for a password.
10 > It's ssh-add that does (if you run it after the agent), assuming the key
11 > you're adding is password-protected.
12
13 Ssh-agent most certainly asks for a passphrase (although it may be
14 ssh-add that does the actual asking). As soon as I get to my first
15 login screen (I don't start from a GUI login), and I have logged in,
16 ssh-agent (or ssh-add, whatever) asks me for a passphrase for the DSA
17 key it finds. But it consistently ignores the RSA key.
18
19 Really, everything is (or at least seems to be) working wonderfully
20 *for DSA*. As you also indicated, it *should* work for both DSA and
21 RSA ... except that on my box it doesn't. :-(