From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Increasing security [WAS: Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice [Solved?]
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:16:56
1 * Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > The only service running on my "host" (main system) is sshd,
4 > which I secured as much as I could.
5
6 If you have some physical access (eg. serial console), you
7 could even drop sshd (or only bind it to some local interface)
8 to get around possible ssh attacks. That's what I'm doing on
9 several machines.
10
11 > Everything else (web, mail, dns, ftp, syslog, X, and plenty of
12 > users' services) runs on its own guest-system, chrooted in
13 > addition (where it was possible).
14
15 Yes, that's also my approach.
16
17 BTW: I'm currently trying to convice one of my customers - an
18 major German ISP - to provide a generic solution for such kind
19 of environments: customers can allocate and configure containers
20 at will (also via robot interfaces), and the ISP takes care of
21 the cluster of host machines ... maybe I get the leading product
22 managers convinced some day ;-)
25 cu
26 --
28 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
29
30 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
31 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
33 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme