From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: MythTV backend on non-dedicated machine?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:04:33
1 On 2009-05-19, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 17:04 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
3
4 >> Does anybody have any experience with running a MythTV backend
5 >> on a non-dedicated machine (a machine that's also used for
6 >> software development, web-browsing, e-mail, etc.)?
7
8 ...
9
10 > My MythTV setup has its own external 1TB drive for recordings,
11 > but it runs on my desktop machine. My tuner is a Hauppage
12 > WinTV PVR-250. Since I got the external drive for myth I can
13 > run other programs on the machine at the same time that Myth
14 > is recording, and it doesn't lose information in the
15 > recordings anymore. Recordings used to be skippy before I got
16 > the external drive, but now it works great. What did you want
17 > to know?
18
19 I just wanted to know if anybody was running a MythTV backend
20 the way you are, and if they had any problems.
21
22 Based on your experiences, it sounds like a non-dedicated
23 machine with a dedicated drive works well enough. HD data
24 rates are going to be higher than the PVR-250 (HD is
25 7-8GB/hour, and my '250 used to be about 1-1.5GB/hour), but
26 that should still be handled easily enough.
29 Grant Edwards grante Yow! An INK-LING? Sure --
30 at TAKE one!! Did you BUY any
31 visi.com COMMUNIST UNIFORMS??